Saturday, June 18, 2011

Introduction Part 1: The Idea



The premise for this project started about a year ago.  Volunteer leaders noted a lack of participation in training for the tech support areas at our church. As a dad of three, I am well aware of the difficulty in making and keeping plans after hours and on weekends.

At the time, I attended Liberty University and took classes online. From my experience with Liberty, I started thinking about putting together videos about the different tech support areas. I figure online training allows people to watch on their own schedule.

In attending Liberty, I found that the most enjoyable classes included two elements. First, using a video component helps to conceptualize difficult concepts. Second, follow up with some simple questions helps to retain technical information.


The original idea included using the current video team to shoot the tech teams doing their various tasks. We experienced a couple of issues when starting to work with the team. First, when starting to shoot a few preliminary lessons, I noticed that we tended towards information specific to The Family Church. The goal was to both train team members at the church and to provide some basic theory. Second, we had a rough time scheduling the proper people for filming the sessions. I decided to take a step back and do some additional planning before starting the rest of the sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment